Sometimes, something really gets us down and sometimes we just wake up and we’re in a bad mood. Either way, a bad mood can throw us off track. Have you ever noticed how when it rains, it pours?
Research suggests that it partly has to do with the fact that when one event happens and we have a negative reaction to it, it causes us to view another event negatively, which causes another negative event, which causes another negative thought, and the cycle starts spinning out of control. A bad mood can impact our productivity, our relationships, and most importantly, our happiness.
Here are 6 tips to help you stop you bad mood in it’s track and get you in a better mood, like yesterday.
- Listen to a happy song
- This is the easiest and quickest way to get in a better mood. Listen to a song that makes you happy and if you can, dance or sing along. Instant mood boost!
- A few of my favorite songs to listen to when in a bad mood:
- Go for a walk or a run
- I’m not really into running but talking a walk always gets my mood up. While walking I try to look at the color of grass, the trees, the birds making noise. This helps with getting present, which always puts me in a better, relaxed mood.
- Essential Oils
- Smell something that makes you happy. Essential oils are known for the endorphins they produce in your brain, just from smelling them!
- Watch something funny
- Go to YouTube and look for comedy related videos. A good laugh is sure to put you in a better mood.
- Compliment someone or give someone a hug
- The simple act of making someone else’s day, will make your day. Zig Ziglar says “You can always get what you want, if you help enough people get what they want”.
- SMILE 🙂
- Smile for a good 30 seconds to 1 min 🙂
I’d love to hear your ideas on what puts you in a better mood. Leave a comment below!